San Pedro Chamber 2019 Legislative & Policy Platform
The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit 501c (6) membership organization. The mission of the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce is to promote, support, and advocate the interests of the business community.
Our vision is to make San Pedro a better place to live, work and visit.
2019 STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
San Pedro Downtown and LA Waterfront Redevelopment
Objective: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports the redevelopment of the San Pedro Waterfront as a major visitor serving attraction to increase the economic health of San Pedro.
- Advocate for continued waterfront development as outlined in the 2009 San Pedro Waterfront EIR.
- Create a seamless interface between the LA Waterfront and historic downtown San Pedro through signage, programming and infrastructure.
- Create comprehensive signage leading into San Pedro and the LA Waterfront along major thoroughfares to direct visitors to their destination.
- Advocate for clean, well landscaped, and safe roadways leading to and from San Pedro and the LA Waterfront.
- Advocate for the creation of a sidewalk dining program to enhance the dining experience.
Objective: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports reliable sources of affordable and diverse energy supplies.
- Advocate for reliable energy policy that is economically and environmentally responsible.
Objective: Work to ensure that the State of California and the City of Los Angeles provide a transportation and infrastructure network that keeps our ports, area businesses and community thriving.
- Advocate on behalf of modernizing the region’s goods movement network at a reasonable pace and cost.
- Support funding of transportation infrastructure projects which increase mobility on the region’s roadways, light rail and overall transportation system.
- Support the continuation and improvement of the Silver Line between San Pedro and downtown Los Angeles, and opportunities for additional public transportation options.
- Improve public transportation options between LAX and the Port of Los Angeles.
- Advocate for the prioritization of public transportation projects between LAX and the Port of Los Angeles.
Arts and Tourism
Objective: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports a vibrant arts community to increase economic activity through the promotion of arts and culture tourism.
- Advocate on behalf of funding for the arts ensuring San Pedro remains a robust and thriving arts community.
- Support the growth of San Pedro as a tourist destination by encouraging investment and growth in visitor serving businesses and assets.
- Support the restoration of the Warner Grand Theater as a cornerstone of arts and cultural tourism in San Pedro.
- Support the creation of a Certified Tourism Ambassador program.
- Support a parking valet system in downtown to address potential parking shortages during special events.
- Deepen collaboration with key arts and cultural partners to maximize the benefits of San Pedro’s designation as a California Cultural District.
Objective: Support high quality, sustainable development that will drive economic growth.
- Support the San Pedro Courthouse is a key mixed-use redevelopment parcel in downtown San Pedro to assist in the revitalization of downtown.
- Support the redevelopment of the Rancho San Pedro housing site as a mixed income community with a commercial component along Harbor Boulevard.
- Advocate for the creation of a one-stop office in the San Pedro Municipal Building for to support start-ups and new businesses.
- Support the streamlining of the approval process for area restaurants.
- Support AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles and similar initiatives to encourage blue technology and job diversification in San Pedro, and opportunities for workforce development for our youth.
- Work to attract blue tech and ocean related businesses to the area.
- Recognize non-profits as vital contributors to our local economy.
Objective: Support housing development at a variety of income levels to properly sustain the growing population.
- Workforce Housing- Support a diversified housing stock that will allow middle class workers to afford to live near their places of employment, which in turn will incentivize companies to locate in the Harbor Area.
- Transit Oriented Development- Promote affordable and workforce housing near public transportation nodes to increase the number of users of METRO and create convenience for riders.
- Advocate for increased housing opportunities for homeless individuals, families and veterans.
- Artist Housing: Support live work space for local artists to help maintain our arts community in San Pedro.
2019 Policy Platform
Aerospace: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports programs that capitalize on our region’s innovative aerospace industry and attract new and growing companies.
Ballot Initiatives: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports fiscally sound ballot measures that address critical needs and have realistically considered the possible impacts on our economy.
Budgeting: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports transparent budget decisions that are based on realistic projections with long-term goals in mind.
Education: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports educational training, workforce development and skilled labor programs to assists San Pedro businesses to meet future workforce demands.
Energy: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports reliable sources of affordable and diverse energy supplies, including but not limited to renewable sources and conservation.
Environmental Regulations: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports responsible, reasonable, regulatory reforms that fully consider environmental impacts but do not overburden development projects.
Goods Movement: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports projects that improve the delivery of goods throughout our region to allow imports and exports to affordably and efficiently flow through our region.
Healthcare: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports a sound and affordable healthcare system that addresses cost containment and excessive regulations that ultimately harm the delivery of health services.
International Trade: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports trade and tourism initiatives to spur commerce and strengthen the region’s leading position in the global economy.
Labor Costs: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports striking a balance between employees’ expectations to be treated fairly with employers’ ability to stay in business.
Land Use: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports a balanced approach to addressing workforce housing demands, creating new jobs, protecting industrial and commercial zones as well as preserving open space and our unique quality of life.
Los Angeles Air Force Base: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce strongly supports the LA Air Force Base remaining in the South Bay and supports Air Force housing in San Pedro.
Litigation: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports reforms to California’s litigious environment so employers and public agencies are protected against costly, frivolous lawsuits.
Pensions: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports reducing the public’s tax liability on unrealistic, unfunded pension plans and encourages long term remedies to ensure fiscal health.
Taxation: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports reducing the high tax burden on businesses as well as a tax/fee structure that does not put San Pedro businesses at a competitive disadvantage.
Technology: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports the emergence of the harbor area as an innovation corridor, fostering initiatives to nurture companies that develop technology in the areas of societal advancement, such as ocean research and space exploration.
Transportation: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports innovative funding solutions to accommodate increased mobility on the region’s roadways and overall transportation system.
Waste Management: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports realistic and fair consistent water discharge requirements as well as policies on solid waste management so that the collection, transport, processing and disposal of solid waste is conducted with minimal impacts to our beaches and businesses.
Water: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports a long-term comprehensive state water plan that is reliable and includes conservation, new supply, reclamation, storage and conveyance that is equitable for all Californians. The Chamber also supports sustainable policies that protect our ocean waters.
Workplace Standards: The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce supports efforts to make California’s workplace standards more competitive with the rest of the nation.