California Cultural Districts
The San Pedro Arts & Cultural District’s peninsula geography lends a small town atmosphere despite belonging to the nation’s second largest city. The historic core of downtown San Pedro has been renting to artists since 1944, with studios in storefronts and warehouses alike. Many commercial buildings also house studios, organizations and work/live options in the district.
The Angels Gate Cultural Center offers studios in former army barracks for more than 50 artists of all disciplines. Crafted, a permanent weekend market with handmade apparel, home decor and food goods, houses a plethora of artists with space and marketing to sell their artwork at the Port of Los Angeles. Vacant spaces remain open to new artists and organizations, providing more opportunities and promise to grow the district’s arts culture.
These nontraditional spaces offer regular arts events, with monthly art openings and classes in settings all over the district. For 20 years, the community has participated in a First Thursday ArtWalk, one of the first in the region. Thousands of local residents show up every First Thursday to celebrate the visual arts, socialize, and patronize participating restaurants.
Lead Partner Organization: San Pedro Waterfront Arts District
Office of Council Office 15 – Joe Busciano, San Pedro Chamber of Commerce, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, Angels Gate Cultural Center and the Grand Vision Foundation.
- Angels Gate Cultural Center
- AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
- San Pedro City Ballet
- LA Maritime Museum
- USS Battleship Iowa
- SS Lane Victory
- Los Angeles Maritime Institute’s Tall Ships
- Pt. Fermin Lighthouse
- Warner Grand Theatre
- Grand Annex Theatre
- Little Fish Theatre
- TE San Pedro Repertory Theatre
- Cabrillo Beach Bath House
- Museum of the American Cocktail
- Mueller House Museum
- Golden State Pops Orchestra
ARTISTS AND GALLERIES:
- Cornelius Projects - 1417 Pacific Ave.
- 3 Sheets Art Space - 807 Pacific Ave.
- Gallery 741 - 741 Pacific Ave.
- Gallery Azul - 741 Pacific Ave.
- The Space on Pacific- 624 Pacific Ave.
- Croatian Cultural Center – 510 7th St.
- Gallery 478 – 478 7th St.
- SP Chamber of Commerce Board Room Gallery – 390 7th St.
- Hiroko Bronze, Stone & Ceramics – 382 7th St.
- NEWS PILOT ART SPACES – 7th Street
- Menduina Schneider Art Gallery - 366 7th St.
- Paul Turang - 364 7th St.
- James Harter - 362 7th St.
- Nancy Crawford - 360 7th St.
- Sirens Java & Tea - 356 7th St.
- Michael Stearns Studio - 347 7th St.
- Gloria Lee & Pat Woolley Studio - 345 7th St.
- Studio 343 J.J.Geary - 343 7th St.
- huZ Galleries - 341 7th St.
- Annie Appel Photography - 381 6th St.
- Mike Rivero Painting Studio - 414 6th St.
- Angels Gate Pop-Up gallery - 415 6th St.
- Marymount California University Klaus Center for the Arts - 430 6th St.
- Yong Sin Painting Studio - 443 6th St.
- Parkhurst Galleries - 439 6th St.
- Machine Studio - 446 6th St.
- fINdings Art Center - 470 6th St.
- 4TH AND MESA STREET - THE LOFT BUILDING
- Loft 2 Studios & Gallery
- Loft 3 Studios
- The Loft Gallery
- National Watercolor Society – 915 Pacific Ave.
- Julie Bender Studio – 356 7th St
REGULAR & ANNUAL ARTS AND CULTURAL ACTIVITIES:
- FirstThursday ArtWalk - Celebrating it’s 21 year Anniversary in November 2018
- Chamber of Commerce Friday Farmer’s Market
- Cars and Stripes
- LA Fleet Week
- Angels Gate Cultural Center Open Studios (2x a year)
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium’s Grunion Run
- CD15 Shred Fest – skateboard event
- Grand Vision Foundation’s Gathering for the Grand
- Lobster Festival
- AltaSea Flotilla
- Tall Ships Festival
- CMA Sustainable Seafood Expo
- Dia de Los Muertos
- Third Saturday ArtWalk Experiment
- Cabrillo Beach Boosters Fourth of July Fireworks
- PV Land Conservancy Home Tour
- Happy Harbor Halloween and Pet Parade
- LA Harbor Holiday Afloat Parade
- Spirit of San Pedro Holiday Parade