This session will explain how businesses can improve their teamwork and collaboration by improving thoughtful awareness and action around diversity and inclusion. Specifically, it will describe what unconscious bias and microaggressions are and how these dynamics can influence workplace decisions. Included are suggestions to help individuals reach higher levels of awareness and proactive steps to manage through pitfalls.
· Define implicit bias and describe why it exists in all of us.
· Understand how implicit bias can have benefits as well as drawbacks.
· Recognize examples of implicit bias in both yourself and in others.
· How to thoughtfully and respectfully address implicit bias in others.
· Define microaggressions and provide examples.
· Explore ways to integrate purposeful and intentional actions toward reducing implicit bias on an organization-wide basis.
· Review the details of the Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping” Executive Order (EO) 13950, effective in September 2020 for government contractors.
Melveen Stevenson is the Principal and founder of M.S.Elemental, LLC, a human resources advisory and training firm based in San Pedro. As a certified HR professional with a background in accounting and finance, she helps companies to navigate the human resource jungle with her expertise in training, employee engagement, and compliance.
Over the last 19 years, Melveen has held leadership positions in human resources at international companies including Baxter International, General Mills, Philips Healthcare, and Land O’Lakes. Melveen is currently also a part-time faculty member at California State University-Dominguez Hills where she teaches in the undergraduate business school.
Melveen is certified through the Society of Human Resource Management and the Human Resources Certification Institute.